After the launch of Bot Engine, we’ve been mainly focused on performance and scalability behind the scenes. Hence the lack of news ;-). Still, we’ve listened and learned a ton from your feedback. One thing that came back consistently was that setting up a server, connecting it to Wit on one hand, and to Messenger on the other, could get pretty confusing. So we launched a small tool, WittyFiddle, to help solve this problem.
WittyFiddle is a sandbox that emulates a bot server, right inside your browser. You can connect Wit, start writing your actions immediately and test your bot right away. Once you’re done, you can either download the code, or deploy it to Heroku, and start testing on Messenger. You can then share and clone these fiddles with other developers!
WittyFiddle is still extremely early stage and we would love to get your feedback.
Don’t know what to do for the holiday? Today we’re launching WittyCup, a two weeks contest to build the most awesome bot with WittyFiddle!
The winner will get:
- 1 Oculus Rift + Touch
- An opportunity to speak to the Wit.ai team through VC or in person if you are in the Bay Area
- A Wit.ai t-shirt
How to participate?
- Create your bot using WittyFiddle.
- Post your WittyFiddle URL as a comment to the pinned post in the Wit.ai Hackers Facebook Group with a small description of your bot in 140 characters. You can submit your WittyFiddle link until 11:59PM PST December 31st.
- We will select our 10 preferred bots based on the following criteria:
- User Value
- Ability to handle conversational flow
- The Wit.ai Hackers community on FB will then vote for the winner.
And the obligatory legalese below*.
We look forward to seeing what you will build!
* NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN. A PURCHASE WILL NOT INCREASE YOUR CHANCES OF WINNING. Individuals may develop a bot using WittyFiddle and submit the required info between 2:00:00 PM U.S. Pacific Time (“PT”) on December 16, 2016, and 11:59:59 PM PT on December 31, 2016. Open only to individuals who are at least 18 years old and the age of majority in their jurisdiction of residence, have a valid Facebook account and email address, and do not reside in an embargoed country or where this program is illegal. Access to the Internet, developer tools, and software are required. Void where prohibited by law. ALL PARTICIPATION AND APPLICATIONS ARE SUBJECT TO FULL OFFICIAL RULES, WHICH CONTAIN, AMONG OTHER THINGS, IMPORTANT SUBMISSION REQUIREMENTS, GRANT OF RIGHTS, AND LIMITATIONS OF SPONSOR’S LIABILITY. Judges will determine the winning applicants as fully described in the Official Rules, based on following criteria/weights: User value (30%); UX (30%); ability to handle conversational flow (30%); and results of public voting (10%). ARV of prize package: USD$850. Prize details will be determined by Sponsor in its sole discretion. Limit 1 application per person for the entire program. Sponsor: Facebook, Inc., 1 Hacker Way, Menlo Park, CA 94025.